Diamond

Name

The name diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas" (invincible) and emphasizes the particular hardness of this gemstone.

Colour

The most well-known color of the diamond is the so called "white" diamond. But there are also colored diamonds „fancy diamonds“, which can be yellow, blue, brown, red or black. Also interesting to know: The assessment of the color and purity of a diamond was unified by the Color and Purity Scale of the Gemmological Institute of America (GIA).

Cut

The diamond is always cut in faceted forms. The most common one it the brilliant cut which has 57 or 58 facets, if you count the vial. Also interesting to know: The diamond is the hardest known naturally occurring material.

Faceted cut: There is wide variety of faceted cuts - some of them are displayed in the picture to your right. 

Mineral group

Interesting to know the diamond is the only gemstone made of one single element: It is made of about 99.95% crystalline carbon. The other 0.05% can include one or more trace elements (Boron, hydrogen, nitrogen). Some of these trace elements can influence its color or crystal shape to evoke the colors of the so-called "fancy diamonds". Naturally colored diamonds are rather rare in nature, hence many copies are color-treated.

 

Locations

The most significant diamond occurrences are in Australia, Botswana, Canada, Democratic Republic of Congo and Russia.

Power

The diamond is said to promote a clear and independent thinking and supports the willpower which is very much in line with the strength the gem has itself. In ancient days diamonds were thought to be antidote to poison, a protection against the plague and to assure longevity, strength, beauty and happiness. Nowadays it is the universal symbol of love.

 

Birthstone

The diamond is the birthstone of April. So all amazing people who are born in April can call this special gemstone their own.

Mohs scale

The Mohs hardness describes the hardness of a mineral on a scale of 1 to 10 and is named after its inventor, the German mineralogist Friedrich Mohs (1773 - 1839). It is the basis of the hardness test. Friedrich Mohs scored various minerals against each other and arranged them according to their hardness. The scale consists of a series of 10 minerals, each of which "scratches" all standing in front of him. Diamonds have a Mohs hardness of 10 and are therefore the hardest minerals.

  • 1 + 2 can be scratched with the bare fingernail

  • 1 - 5 can be scratched with the knife

  • 6 - 10 can be scratched with pane

The diamond has hardness 10 on the Mohs hardness scale and is hence the hardest gemstone of all.

Care

The best way to maintain the diamond is with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. But it can also be subjected to steam or ultrasonic cleaning.

Combination

You can combine the diamond with either white gold, platinum, yellow gold and even rosé gold. Since the white color of the diamond stands out for itself and reinforces everything you wear.

Copyright © 2018 PLETTENBERG Fine Jewelry